Long Preston Parish Council is fully committed to protect, maintain and enhance the community within the Parish.
1) Maintain and improve the council owned land, buildings and parish amenities, acquire as appropriate additional land or buildings, Continue to build financial reserves to achieve these objectives with the over riding aim of getting value for money on each and every parish council project
2) Consult with residents and organisations to enhance the life of our community abd ti enable an involved, empowered and active citizenship through community involvement, reaching out to hard to reach groups and seeking the views of young people.
3) improve our internet facilities and develop a parish council web site detailing all council services and activities
4) Obtain Quality Council status.
5)Work closely with the District and County Council Planning Departments on all planning matters and carefully monitor such applications.
6) To ensure that the Parish Council has relevant and up to date policies to cover inter alia:- Social media and dispensations; Budgetary; Communiactions; Contracts; Environment and planning; Asset accumulation and planning and Stakeholder review
7)To raise the image and reputation of the Parish Council through:- inviting residents to be acttively involved at our meetings; encourage usage of the web site; provision of a newsletter in hard copy and online; to issue press releases covering the activities of the parish council and to set up a regular clinic for the public to meet with the parish council members.
ACTION PLAN 2015 – 2019
First thing to be done is to issue a village wide questionnaire to establish priorites and strategy re the action plan
The below are examples of potential actions.
1) .Register all parcels of parishg Council owned land at the Land registry
2) Identify and utilize for the public benefit all area’s of Parish council land and common land
3) Develop and implement an Environmental policy
4) Create a register of parish council assets and create a prioritized system for their upkeep and renewal
5) Consider the provision of allotments and car parks for the Village
6) Establish and agree a budgetary reserves policy
7) Consider in conjunction with the appropriate authorities facilities for the youth, and consider with Craven District Council facilities for the elderly.
8) Consider what inititiatives the Parish Council can introduce to promote tourism to the Village
9) Establish a volunteer group prepared to introduce computers and the internet to the elderly residents in the community.
10) Review and identify financial projects in order of preference and the policy for financial reserves.
11) Review the potential for Affordable Housing
12) Decide whether to put properties forward for inclusion on the Community assets register
13) Support groups and organisations whose activities enhance community life.
14) Get value for money contracts in place to maintain parish council assets.
15) Consider the future of the playing fields 16) Consider traffic control measures
17) Consider the renewal of the street lighting 18) Consider the provision of benches
19) Consider the provision of social/village orientate events ie: Sports events, Halloween / Bonfire Night ,Village Street/ Green Party, Children’s events, Village History, duck races, Walks / Rambles, Christmas / Santa’s Grotto
in the news
A Public meeting will be held at Long Preston Village Hall on Wednesday March20th at 7-00pm.
This is to tell people what actions can be done to try and make Hellifield Flashes an area of Local Green Space, This is NOT a meeting to discuss the Planning Application for the Flashes , its to tell people what Craven Council are trying to do to protect that area. All are welcome.
THE PLANNING MEETING
There is to be a Public Meeting on the plans for the holiday complex held by the Planning Committee, this is a special meeting to be held at Gargrave Village Hall on March 25th at 2-45pm.
Councillor Chris Moorby will be speaking at this meeting and if you have any comments you wish to raise it my be better to get in touch with him , as he can speak for a much longer period of time than others can.
This is probably the most controversial issue that has come before the planning committee in a great number of years and as you may be aware this is causing great concerns for the people of both Long Preston and Hellifield.
If you keep an eye on the planning portal of the CDC web site then the papers appertaining to the plans will appear any day now.
Even though this planning application is due to be decided on this date and the decision is to refuse the development, then no doubt the developer will go to appeal but if this land in the meantime is designated Local Green Space it will make development very difficult in the future.
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS 2019
Last years’ lights were a hurried affair and I hope we can do better this year.
The Parish Council has agreed to put £1000 in towards renewals and repairs, so that’s a start.
However there is a lot to do, a new electric supply is needed to replace the one on the Rohan shop, and it has been suggested this is moved to the Village Hall, which would give us a more manageable supply. The electrical box which powers the lights around Maypole Green is also in need of replacement.
It is impractical to light the Christmas Tree with mains power , every year its an issue, so this year we will go to battery lights and have many more! Also there is a suggestion to move the tree to the small Green in front of the Village Hall, it can be seen from the road there and if we also have lights on the Hall , this can be the focal point of the display.
The Main Green needs new lights and the lanterns need rewiring and reattaching to the trees. We could also put a tree in the old spot, or something else?
The Maypole illumination has once again shown how hard it is to erect and get down, perhaps a new idea , involving less damn hard work is needed. A suggestion has been made to just run lights down from the “scrolls” to poles on the ground, if we use low voltage lights there would be no hazard.
We need a switching on ceremony , I was so sorry that last year we had no time to get this organised. We need to make the Village Hall the centre and if we can organise this to coincide with the Xmas Fayre so much the better.
If anybody has any thoughts, good , bad or why are we bothering, then please let us know, its a lot of effort to get it right and we need to know how the village thinks.
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment on the website longprestonpc.org.uk
Hope this keeps people up to date as to what we have in mind.
Next Parish Council Meeting
Friday 5 th April 2019 at 7.00pm, venue as usual Upstairs
followed by the
Annual Parish Meeting at 8.00pm; venue in the Main Room,
both meetings to be held in the Village Hall.
Long Preston Parish Council has decided to leave the Parish Precept the same as last years. What that amount of money is, and how it is spent will, in general terms, appear here shortly.